APPLICATION FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
BEFORE COMPLETING THE APPLICATION FORM, PLEASE READ THE NOTES BELOW.
Who can apply to the Energy Fund?
You can apply to the Energy Fund if you are a current business account holder of BES Utilities, have been a customer for over 12 months and are finding it difficult to pay for your energy bills. The Fund can help clear debts for business electricity and gas owed to BES Utilities for businesses in England, Scotland and Wales.
Before completing this application form you must have obtained independent debt advice from Business Debtline. https://www.businessdebtline.org/
The Fund looks to support those committed to achieving future financial stability, helping you keep up to date with current bills and avoiding future debts. We will therefore ask you to take part in a 3 month Provisional Payment Scheme to make payments towards your current usage, before your historic debts to BES Utilities are cleared.
Filling in the application form:
It is very important that you provide as much detail as possible for us to be able to assess your application.
- Please complete all sections of the application form.
- You will not be able to make an application without providing a copy of your Budget Sheet created with Business Debtline. Therefore please can you ensure that you have a copy of this document to upload when submitting your online application.
You must also provide:
- A meter reading/s taken on the date you submit your application. Guidance on how to read your meter is given on the back of your bill.
- Supporting commentary that details why you are applying to the Fund, giving specific reference to any health, work, financial or family issues. Please explain how an award will help you get back on track with your energy bills.
Once you have submitted your application, if you need to provide any further supporting documents, please use the Freepost address (you do not need a stamp for this):
Freepost BUSINESS ENERGY SOLUTIONS FUND
Please supply copies of any supporting documents as we do not return originals.
How we deal with your application
You may receive emails or telephone calls as part of our assessment process.
If we can help with your energy debts, we will write to tell you that a provisional award has been made. Your debt will not be cleared immediately. During the 3 months following your provisional award, you will be required to demonstrate your commitment to improving your financial stability, i.e. your intention to pay current and future costs on an ongoing basis and to avoid getting into debt in the future. Your commitment would be demonstrated by:
- Payment towards your current usage and arrears while your application is being processed. This will immediately show the Fund that you are currently financially stable. BES Utilities will contact you to set up a payment plan for the 3 month provisional period.
- You will also have the opportunity to discuss with BES Utilities how you might reduce bills including whether any of their reduced tariffs would be beneficial for you and your business.
- Three months after the provisional award has been made, if it can be seen that you have taken steps towards achieving financial stability, you will receive a letter confirming your award and a payment from BES Utilities will be made to clear your debt.
- If the Fund cannot help you, we will write to tell you. Please note the Fund does not give particular reasons why a grant is not awarded.
Applying to the Fund again
- If your application is successful and you receive an award from the Fund to clear your business energy debt, you cannot re-apply for a period of 2 years.
- If you are accepted onto the Fund's Provisional Award Scheme but your award is not confirmed you can re-apply immediately providing your circumstances have changed.
- If your application is unsuccessful and you are not accepted onto the Fund's Provisional Award Scheme you can re-apply immediately if your circumstances change.